Thursday, January 29, 2015

We Survived Our First Weekend Alone

This past weekend Ryan went out of town for a hunting trip.  He left on Thursday morning and came home Monday afternoon.

I'm happy that he got to go on this trip but man, was it harder than I thought.

I'm a baby.  
Not in the literal sense, but in the way that I am scared of everything & always, always have a back up plan for things that I believe can happen.  
I have never liked being alone - now don't get me wrong, I love a good Saturday to binge watch Netflix or clean out my DVR, but sleeping alone?  
That's for the bears!

Fast forward to life now, the real life, where Ryan was leaving for the first time since we've had Caleb and I am supposed to be the big, brave Mommy who takes care of the children (I include Hank in this count, of course)

Ryan left on Thursday, as I mentioned above, and off to work I went after dropping Caleb off at my moms.  I worked all day dreading going home to an empty house.  I know that Caleb and Hank were with me, but still, there is something about not having the hubs there.  I don't like it.  We went about our "normal" night time routine and we survived.  I didn't sleep 9 hours as normal due to my paranoia, but overall we didn't have a house fire, a burglar or a catastrophe so it was good.

Friday was the start of the weekend and after work we decided to stay the night at Mima's house.  Why drive all the way back home after picking up the baby just to drive back down Saturday to hang out?  I was being economical! :)  We had a nice night of peaceful, not stressed sleep - because my Mommy was there and she will protect us all :)

Saturday I needed to go grocery shopping and do at least Caleb's laundry - that boy is in the messiest stage right now and goes through at least 2 outfits a day!  So Caleb and I ventured North to our home and went grocery shopping.  This was the first - and most likely the last until he can sit in the cart - time I have taken Caleb grocery shopping by myself.  He was a fussbucket!  He wasn't happy being worn and carrying a 17 pound baby through the store while pushing a cart and trying to select items is more than difficult.  Something that normally takes me between 30-45 minutes, took me almost 1.5 hours!  Not okay!  I don't blame the baby, but my village was definitely lacking that day and I missed it! 
::read, come home now hubby!::

We, once again, survived and continued about our day.  We got one load of laundry done and all of the parishable items put away.  I managed to clean bottles and hold Caleb while he took a good nap for 1.5 hours (I had to hold him so he slept well...right?  Plus I got to clean up that DVR that I mentioned above)

Saturday night I went to dinner with my in-laws so that they could see Caleb and then, since we were already down and I was being super economical this weekend, we stayed the night, once again, at Mima's house.

Sunday we woke up, went to a little shindig at my Aunt's house for me and my Grandpa and then headed home.

We stayed the night at our own house, in our own beds Sunday night and survived.  I slept 8 hours and was happy as a clam, but maybe that was because my mom was with me.  Once a month she stays at our house on Sunday night so that I can go to work early and once a month I stay at her house so that I can do the same thing.  It works out great and it just so happened that this weekend was her weekend to come up with me.  How nice was that?!? :)

Ryan came home Monday afternoon and as happy as I was to see him home safe and sound - because, yes, that is another thing that I worry about with him being gone hunting and having fun - Caleb was so much more happy.  That little boy missed his Daddy and couldn't have been happier.  He ended up sleeping for 11.5 hours Monday night because he was so happy that his Daddy was home - I won't tell you about how unfair I feel that is. LOL.

Moral of the story - we survived.  I survived.  I didn't like it, but you do what you got to do, and in the end, me and the boys were fed and taken care of each and every night. 

Now hubs, if you are reading this, don't let this happen again, for a while - got it??? :)
 photo laahSARASINGNATURE_zps160bd270.png


  1. Glad you survived! I hate spending the night by myself and I don't even have a little on to take care of. Last time I made my dad come over and walk the dog with me because I didn't want to go out with her by myself.

  2. Oh honey, I giggled as I read this. I felt the same way when Joe took his first work trip when Amelia was 3 weeks old. I stayed with my parents A LOT. I'm glad you don't have to do it regularly, because it's not fun! Joe is gone 50% of the time for work...this week is monday-saturday, gah. I'm glad you have so much family nearby!